Planning a move can be a challenging undertaking, especially if you do this with the whole family. And in such a case, all aspects of the relocation becomes trickier than a single move because of the number of heads who’ll be moving. As it involves complex arrangements and many more things to consider, you may need a moving timeline to prepare your family members for the upcoming move.
Here are the tips to properly prepare your family and get yourselves ready for the moving day.
- Tell your children that you’re moving
Before tackling anything about your impending move, you should find time to explain to your children that you’ll be relocating in no time. By talking to them in advance, you’ll be able to help them understand the process. After all, moving for younger children seems to be a complicated task. Hence, it’s essential to help them comprehend what’s going on in order for you to have a seamless move going forward. When your kids become emotional about the transition, be sure you give them time for everything.
- Secure copies of the family’s health and medical records
More than anything else, your family’s health should always be your primary concern. Before you move in, obtain your family’s medical records. That way, you can be able to get new doctors for you and the rest of the family. Your new physicians will probably require copies of your medical records. Moreover, when looking for a new family doctor, hire someone you can trust. References from friends, relatives, or neighbors can help you make a smart choice.
- Consider the timing of your move
Timing is something that can impact the way your family prepares for the move. This is especially true if you have school-aged children. As you give them enough time to accept the situation and say proper goodbyes, it’s helpful that you pay attention to timing. Have full control over the timing of your upcoming move so you can help your family members cope with some transition changes. If possible, it’s important to let your children finish their school year before setting your move-in date.
- Make a packing plan
When you have a family move, you should prepare a solid packing plan to make sure everything will go smoothly. Creating a plan, for instance, will help you stay organized in all aspects of your relocation. Here’s how you can make packing fast and easy for the family:
- Get everyone onboard – Your family will be equally motivated to move if you get everyone onboard with the packing process. Allow each family member to make initial decisions by helping your children decide on what they should and shouldn’t bring to your new home.
- Declutter – You’ll have a happier family move if you declutter in advance. By knowing what should stay and what should go, you can also save more money in your pocket. Remember, with the number of people who are moving, it’s a good idea to examine all your belongings and get rid of everything unwanted or unnecessary. Doing so will make sure your preparations will run smoothly.
- Pack smart – Gather the packing supplies before you start packing. With the help of your family, go through each room and pack your stuff. Don’t forget to label the boxes accordingly to ensure they’ll be delivered to their intended rooms once you arrive. By having a good labeling system, you can make the process of unpacking much more comfortable and quicker.
- Use moving services
There’s no question that preparing for a family move can be a tough experience. Given all the things that need to accomplish, it’s sometimes difficult not to be stressed during this challenging time. In addition to all aspects of your move, you have to deal with your family’s reaction about your impending move. In order to assist them in digesting the news, hiring professional movers near me can be a great idea.
By using their services, you can focus on helping your family understand the reasons why you should have to relocate. An experienced moving company has the expertise to make the entire process less tedious for your family. Letting them handle the logistics of your move means you have every opportunity to keep your family connected throughout the process.
The Bottom Line
Again, undertaking a family move will need a lot of planning and preparation. Although nothing can ultimately make the process stress-free, following these tips can help you keep your family’s needs in mind during the move. This will not only make them happy that you think about their needs, but it’ll also help you avoid some complications along the way. If you, for instance, plan a family move within or from New York City, working with moving companies NYC will be a great help.